WEEK 5: What is that coming out of my mouth??? Oh....that's Portuguese!

From: Iosepa Nawahine <iosepa.nawahine@missionary.org>
Date: Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 11:43 PM
Subject: Conference and last week in the CTM


ola minha familia,
All of you guys have been on my mind this whole week with my weekly temple trip, to my personal experiences this week, and even conference. I hope and pray you all had to wonderful opportunity to listen and ponder the words of our prophet and all the other amazing speakers as well. Conference here in the CTM is a little different than back home: for example, Conference is at 1 pm for us and we all gather in the auditorium to watch all five sessions. What an amazing experience it was for me to watch conference in the country where I'll be serving. It's amazing to think that every time we have heard in conference it's just another chapter of scripture for us to use in our lives. I challenge each of you to look over what was said this weekend and ponder and figure out how you can use it in your life and how you can use it to bless the lives around you. This week has been a struggle on my patience as a missionary and a companion, but I know that all these trials will make me stronger in faith and in prayer. My Portuguese is getting better as I try to teach lessons and talk to the locals on p days, but I still have a long way to go. But if there is one thing I've learned about teaching in another language is that when you bear your testimony in the language you must use the spirit puts words in your mouth that you didn't even know (D&C 100:6). I had this experience when me and my companions- I got another companion btw- taught one of the instructors at the CTM about the word of wisdom. The instructor acted like an investigator and had some trouble drinking and partying and we decided to teach him on the word of wisdom on our second visit. The lesson was good but as we started to near the end of our lesson I could tell we were looking for things to say... so with courage I bore my testimony in Portuguese about the word of wisdom, the book of mormon, and other things that I didn't even know I could say. When we left the room I started to reflect on how I was able to say all the things I said in Portuguese, and the only answer is the Holy Ghost. Only through the Holy Ghost was I able to say the things I said. Only through the Holy Ghost was Joseph Smith able to talk with God in the flesh and later on translate the book of mormon. Only through the Holy Ghost can we know the truth of all things (Moroni 10:3-5). I love each and every one of you and feel you close to me everyday as I kneel to pray. Come closer to your Father in Heaven and have joy that you might have eternal life. Look on all of God's children with the eyes of Heaven, for remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God. Eu amo voces e boa sorte esta semana. 

Com amor, Elder Nawahine



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 73-74: Honor the family name you bear!

WEEK 11: He's got the Monkeys!!! A bunch of monkeys!!